When Weather Changes Your Travel Plans: Lessons From Our Hawaii Adventure

By Jen | Chasing Wild Adventures
Before our Hawaii trip, I expected to spend the final days packing swimsuits, confirming reservations, and getting excited about our family adventure. Instead, I was refreshing hurricane updates and comparing the cost of changing our plans.
Hurricane Nolo was approaching Hawaii, and the Big Island was under a hurricane watch as we prepared to leave. We had planned time on the Big Island followed by Oahu, with experiences we had been looking forward to for months. Suddenly, there was a new question attached to every reservation: Should we still go?
We watched the forecasts constantly. We considered changing islands, rearranging dates, and paying fees to avoid what could become several days of bad weather. But what if we paid to change everything and the hurricane stayed away? What if our flights operated, but the experiences we had traveled for couldn’t?
We ultimately went, and we were fortunate. Staying on the sunnier side of the Big Island gave us more flexibility as conditions changed. That didn’t mean every plan worked out. Our stargazing tour was canceled because of clouds. Later in the trip, rain ended our luau about halfway through the performance.
The trip gave us wonderful memories—and a few lessons I would use when planning any weather-sensitive vacation.
1. Start with official forecasts, then zoom in on your actual plans
When a storm threatens a trip, a weather app’s rain icon doesn’t give you enough information to make a big decision. Look at official advisories, local hazards, and the forecast for the places you will actually visit.
For Hawaii, these are useful bookmarks:
| Resource | What to check |
|---|---|
| Hurricanes.gov / National Hurricane Center and Central Pacific Hurricane Center | Storm advisories, forecast tracks, wind probabilities, and watches and warnings. |
| National Weather Service Honolulu | Forecasts for specific island areas, radar, surf and marine conditions, and local weather guidance. |
| Hawaii weather alerts | Flood, wind, surf, and other alerts relevant to your location. |
| Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park alerts and conditions | Park conditions and closures before a visit. |
Also check local emergency management updates, official road notices, airline alerts, and your tour operator’s messages. A clear forecast at your hotel tells you little about a mountain excursion or a drive across the island.
One detail matters in our story: on our departure morning, September 25, 2026, Hawaiʻi County was under both a hurricane watch and a tropical storm warning. A watch means the specified conditions are possible; a warning means they are expected. That was more serious than an ordinary rainy forecast. (Departure-morning NWS advisory; search the official archive for Nolo Advisory 20 if this rolling link has changed.)
Read beyond the storm-track map, too. The forecast cone shows the probable path of the storm’s center; it does not outline everywhere that could experience dangerous weather. Flooding, rough seas, and damaging winds can occur outside it. (NHC guidance on the forecast cone, NWS hurricane guidance)
Try this: Save the official forecast for your hotel, your excursion destination, and your driving route. Check the advisory’s timestamp and time zone so you know whether you are reading a new update.
2. Give yourself a decision deadline
We were checking constantly, hoping the next update would make the answer obvious. Often, it simply gave us another possibility to consider.
For a future trip, I would set a decision deadline around our booking rules: the last opportunity to cancel a tour, change a package, or make a flight adjustment. Then I would check scheduled official advisories and any urgent alerts, rather than letting every refresh reopen the entire decision.
Before that deadline, answer three questions:
- Is travel safe and consistent with local guidance? Consider the destination, transportation, roads, and planned activities.
- Can we still have a trip our family will enjoy? Think about what remains possible if your biggest outdoor experiences are canceled.
- What does changing plans actually cost? Add fees, fare differences, replacement lodging, rental cars, and lost prepaid activities, then subtract confirmed refunds.
Safety comes first. Once that is addressed, deciding whether a different trip is worth the money is a personal choice. It is also separate from whether an insurance policy will reimburse you.
Try this: Write down your decision deadline, your maximum comfortable change cost, and the conditions that would trigger a pivot. Leave room to act sooner if official guidance changes.
3. Understand the weather where you are staying
One thing that helped us was staying at the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island’s Kohala Coast. Being on the sunnier side of the island gave us more options than we had imagined while looking at broad island forecasts.
Hawaii’s mountains create major differences in local weather. Windward slopes generally receive more clouds and rain, while leeward areas tend to be sunnier and drier. (National Weather Service: Climate of Hawaii)
That helped our experience, but it isn’t a promise of protection during a hurricane. Storm winds, flooding, and hazardous surf can affect normally dry areas, too. We still needed to check conditions wherever we planned to go.
If you’re planning your own island adventure, explore our Hawaii family travel guide for ideas and inspiration for visiting Oahu, the Big Island, and Maui with kids
Try this: Research local weather patterns when choosing a hotel, then use current forecasts to plan each day. If another area looks better, confirm that both the destination and the route are safe before driving there.
4. Buy travel insurance before a storm becomes part of the forecast
For a trip with substantial nonrefundable costs, compare insurance when you make your first booking. Waiting until a named storm threatens your destination may leave storm-related losses excluded. (NAIC consumer guide to travel insurance)
A policy’s covered reasons matter more than a general promise of peace of mind. Ask the insurer which specific weather events qualify, what documentation is required, and whether benefits apply before departure or during the trip. Review delay thresholds, reimbursement limits, exclusions, medical coverage, and any protection from your credit card.
If your flight operates and your hotel is open, choosing to cancel because the forecast looks disappointing may not qualify for standard cancellation benefits. Likewise, one canceled excursion doesn’t automatically make the whole vacation a covered loss. Your policy controls the answer.
If you want more freedom to cancel, consider Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage while booking. It typically reimburses only part of eligible costs and has strict requirements. The NAIC describes typical reimbursement of 50–75%, an early purchase window, requirements to insure the full eligible trip cost, and a cancellation cutoff commonly at least 48 hours before departure. Check the exact terms and availability for your plan. (NAIC: Travel Insurance)
Try this: Ask, “If the storm stays offshore, our flight operates, and our hotel remains open, what would this policy cover if we chose to cancel?” Save the answer alongside the actual policy wording.
5. Check each reservation before paying to pivot
Our decision involved more than a flight. Moving one part of the trip could affect our hotel package, interisland travel, rental car, and activities.
Make a booking list with reservation numbers, cancellation deadlines, change costs, and the company responsible for each booking. If you booked a package, contact the package provider as well as checking the airline and hotel updates. Confirm any offered exception in writing.
A weather waiver is different from an insurance benefit. Check whether it covers your exact airport, travel dates, ticket, and replacement flight. A waiver for Hilo does not automatically apply to Kona.
For flights to, from, or within the United States, an airline cancellation or qualifying significant change can entitle you to a refund if you decline travel and alternatives. That applies regardless of why the airline canceled. Voluntarily skipping a normally operating nonrefundable flight is different. (U.S. Department of Transportation refund guidance)
Try this: Confirm what you can recover from existing bookings before committing to replacements. Keep cancellation emails, receipts, refund confirmations, and official disruption notices together. If you may claim on insurance, ask about documentation and submission deadlines promptly, and disclose refunds already received.
6. Leave room for the experiences that don’t happen
Our stargazing tour was canceled because of clouds. It was disappointing, but it also illustrated how a trip can be affected without a major weather emergency. Some experiences simply need the right conditions.
Then came the luau. About halfway through the performance, rain ended the evening. It wasn’t the full experience we had hoped for, but it certainly became part of our Hawaii story.
The pleasant surprise was that we received a 50% refund without even asking. We appreciated that thoughtful response. It was our experience with that operator, though—not a refund policy travelers should assume every company offers.
Before booking a weather-dependent activity, ask:
- What happens if the operator cancels?
- What happens if the event begins but ends early?
- Is the remedy a refund, partial refund, credit, or rescheduling?
- Is there room in our itinerary to try again?
Try this: Book your most weather-sensitive priorities earlier in the trip when practical, and keep a later window open for rescheduling. Save the operator’s weather policy before you pay.
7. Build a backup day you would actually enjoy
A backup plan is easier to embrace when it contains something you want to do. Depending on conditions, that might mean a museum, a local food stop, shopping, a hotel activity, or a slower day together.
Keep a few options near your hotel, especially when a long drive may be affected by weather. Changing islands can also be an option, but only if the new destination, transport, availability, and total cost make sense. A different island isn’t automatically outside the storm’s reach.
Flexibility also means accepting closures and operator cancellations. Don’t cross flooded roads or seek out a waterfall, beach, or trail that officials have closed just because the original plan fell through.
Try this: Before departure, save three nearby alternatives, with their hours and booking requirements. Keep one day lightly scheduled so you can move activities without unraveling the whole trip.
What we’ll carry into our next adventure
We returned from Hawaii with a canceled stargazing tour, a luau interrupted by rain, and plenty of memories we were glad we went to make.
Watching Nolo before departure was stressful. We were trying to balance safety, money, and the vacation we had pictured. Staying on the sunnier coast helped, and being willing to rearrange our days helped even more.
Next time, I’ll still plan the experiences we’re excited about. I’ll also know our cancellation deadlines, buy appropriate insurance early, bookmark official weather sources, and leave room for the itinerary to change.
For our family, chasing wild adventures includes learning how to adapt when the adventure comes with a different forecast.
Have you ever changed a trip because of weather—or had a rainy experience become a favorite travel story? Share yours in the comments.
